Thursday, February 28, 2008

"What books are they reading?"

Thanks for asking, Terra. I'd meant to list them when I did my last post, but got lazy.

Here's the list, in top-down order of the stack.

1. Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems. [Terra, this is a must-read for Brooklynites, for sure. A great combo of B&W photography from your neighborhood and great cartoon illustrations. His Pigeon series is a favorite also.]
2. Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina [Classic. I loved this book as a kid, and Doug bought it for me for Christmas 2003 when I was pregnant with Harrison.]
3. Dinosaur Roar by P & H Stickland [One of many gifted from Aunt Lori. This was the book that kicked off the Dinosaur Craze of 2007. It's worn out and has been through numerous repairs.]
4. 12 Ways to Get to 11 by Eve Merriam [Harrison's favorite counting book has more challenging vocabulary and interesting illustrations than the run-of-the mill fare. Santa brought this Christmas 2006 and it's still a popular selection.]
5. Tumble Bumble by Felicia Bond (Another counting book. Very charming and fun to read in the morning in bed.]
6. Snowman Storybook by Raymond Briggs [A narrated and abridged version of the classic, textless version. He loves both, and so do we.]
7. Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel [If I had to recommend a single tome from this stack, this would be it. I had this read and later read it to myself endlessly as a kid, and it never loses its charm. Perfection!]

Happy Reading!