Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I'm dying up here!

Today is "Parents Read-Aloud Day" at Harrison's daycare, and I am signed-up in the 3 o'clock spot. I've chosen one of Harrison's favorite books, Chip Wants a Dog, by William Wegman (you know, the guy with the Weimaraners). Harrison loves this book because: 1. it has dogs in it and he's obsessed with dogs; 2. one of the dogs is brushing his teeth and Harrison likes toothbrushes and toothbrushing; 3. the text starts out "Dogs! Dogs! Dogs!" and Harrison likes to shout out "Dogs! Dogs! Dogs!" and 4. there is a picture of a stuffed dog posed upside down, which is the funniest f#^ing thing Harrison has every seen in his life. Even though he's seen it 3,398 times. He points and then says "Ha! Ha! Ha!" Sometimes the "Ha! Ha! Ha!" sounds rather forced, like he's thinking, "I've laughed at it for so long, I don't know how to stop."

Anhoo, my confession: I am nervous about reading to this horde of toddlers! Eight shrimpy, snotty, babbling one-year-olds. How stupid is that?!

But what if they are a tough crowd? What if they don't like the book? What if they don't think the upside-down dog is funny at all? What if they are not bemused by a picture of a dog-human brushing his teeth? What if they all walk away in disinterest after the second page?

I brought along Animal Sounds too, just in case.

That's a guaranteed crowd pleaser.

No comments: