Thursday, September 07, 2006

Cliff Notes: Harrison's Summer

Okay, now that my pregnancy has officially been acknowledged on this blog, I expect forgiveness for being remiss in my blogging. It's been due to, you know, the incessant gagging and nausea and exhaustion and preoccupation and inability to type while stuffing my maw with food and whatnot.

If I had been able to persevere and were a truly dedicated blogger, oh, how I would have regaled you with detailed tales of our adventures with Harrison. Instead, you'll have to be satisfied with the Cliff's Notes version of our summer highlights:

-picking/gorging ourselves on peaches, blueberries, blackberries, and red raspberries at the lovely Hurd Orchard. [Can I live there, please?]

-Harrison attending and, yes, actually rocking out to his first show: Heavy Trash at the Bug Fest in Highland Park Bowl. [Doug was so proud.]

-Harrison's burgeoning fashion sense as evident in his newfound insistence on choosing his own outfits. [Thankfully his taste seems to be better than that of my coworker Tom's son, who insists on wearing a cat suit every day. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.]

-our summerlong affair with Durand-Eastman Beach on Lake Ontario, just 10 minutes from our house. [With a bizarre lifeguard to swimmer ratio of 1:2.]

-weekend trips to the Public Market for fresh corn, croissants, nectarines, and other yummies. [Which was closed for a day two weeks ago after an 89-year-old guy injured a bunch of people after he drove his Subaru Forester through one of the stands. Afterwards, he claimed that he had been planning to trade the car in because the accelerator and brake in the Forester are too close together, and that what had happened was that he had meant to brake when he accidentally accelerated. Now, Doug and I have a Forester and I have never had a problem figuring out which is the stop and which is the go. You're 89, DUDE! STOP DRIVING!]

-my ten year old cousin Austin looking at Harrison's Daily Sheet from daycare, asking, "What's a BM?", and proceeding to turn 4 deepening shades of red when I explained. [On the same visit, he told my neighbor's son Brad that he had met David Blaine, which is a total lie.]

-an overnight visit (and a beach trip) with Inga, Mike, and Kaiva. [Eating popsicles and watching our two naked children running around my backyard and playing in the kiddy pool=JOY.]

-hanging out (yep, another beach excursion) with my cousin Thong from Saigon who is in the States for 7 weeks. [No, it is not pronounced thong.]

-our as yet unproven candy-based potty-training bribery method. [Two M&Ms for a pee, four M&Ms for a poo.]

-Harrison's passionate love affair with the largest of the cantaloupes growing in our garden: "I want see big memon! OOOOOOOOOOH! BIIIIIIIIIG! BIG MEMON!" [Doug is proudly predicting a lifelong obsession with big melons.]

So, there it is!

No comments: