Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Asian Angel #1, reporting for duty

Harrison has a bedtime book called "The Angel's Lullaby" which features a host of heavenly multicultural angels lulling a little girl to sleep. Whenever he gets to this picture of what I'll call Asian Angel #1, he points and says "Mama mama mama mama mama mama!"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm not quite sure what to think of this. Part of me has flashbacks to self-hating fourth grade, "Why can't I be the sexy blonde Angel with the Farrah wings!?!?"

Groan.. Sorry, those puns were bad ("angel" get it? "wings" get it?), but seriously, back in the early eighties when Van, Hieu, Val, and I used to watch Charlie's Angels repeats, we would assign each of us an Angel to "be".

Somehow Van and Hieu always ended up scoring either of the hot blondes: Jill/Farrah or Chris/Cheryl Ladd. I usually got to be Kelly/Jaclyn Smith (this was pre-Kmart clothing line and even though she was a brunette, she was pretty hot AND smart, so I was satisfied.) Val was the youngest and got stuck "being" Sabrina/Kate Jackson, the dark-haired and smart but ultimately dorky one, who rarely got to wear whorish outfits or use her boobs to somehow trick the bad guys.

Sorry, Val. At least you weren't Bosley.

(Oh my god, how am I not in therapy?)

No comments: