Monday, November 07, 2005

55 hectic hours in the life, plus an early thanksgiving

Friday we left work at noon to get ourselves to Olean to visit Doug's best friend Dom and his wife Morrelle and finally meet their four-month old Ava. They were up from Fort Lauderdale visiting Dom's mom. We hadn't seen them since their wedding party in August 2003.

How fascinating to see how parenthood has changed them. It makes me think of course about how much I have changed and how much Doug and I have changed since Harrison was born. I feel so conflicted whenever I'm around little babies. I simultaneously get the worst baby pangs and want to get to baby-#2-making as soon as possible while also feeling so thankful to be past that age, or at least past that stage of first time parenting. It's interesting to see newer parents with first infants and observe how unsure and nervous and protective they are. I know I was like that too.

Anyway, Ava was beautiful and we had a great, if short, visit with Dom and Morrelle. Morrelle and I of course swapped the necessary notes on breastfeeding, loneliness, identity, ecstasy, work, and money as related to parenting and motherhood.

We made breakfast plans and they were quite shocked when they asked, "So what time do you guys get up?" and we said "Six thirty." Ah, to be a stay at home mom with a child that sleeps in. Harrison's schedule is great for the work week, but he doesn't yet understand the concept of sleeping in on the weekend.

Saturday morning, Harrison's hunger couldn't be staved off by cheerios and raisins after 8 am, so we finally called over the Dom's to get their asses up and out the door.

We were charmed by Ava's napping through the meal and then by her fresh smiles and gurgles and babbles. They were charmed by the way that Harrison pounded back 2.5 pancakes, fresh farm sausage, and a cup of applesauce. What a difference a year in age makes.

We stayed Friday night and Saturday morning with Doug's parents. Even though Harrison sees them less frequently than my parents, he's at the point now where he remembers them from visit to visit. He knows their house and runs to find grandpa as soon as we get there so that he can honk his nose and pull on his ears. He knows that grandpa is the keeper of electronic handheld games and many remotes.

After a quick driveway visit Saturday afternoon with Lori and nieces Lili and Zoe, we were off to Buffalo. As always once we entered my parent's house, my mom took over, which we are so grateful for. We got to take an hour nap before walking the two blocks over to Mike and Inga's house, where they were having a pre- Kaiva's Christening bash for family and closest friends--a great evening with food and drink and music singalongs. Harrison was whisked away at seven by my parents, but not before he and his girlfriend Ella had an intimate roll in Inga and Mike's bed.

Harrison woke up around 6:20 on Sunday morning. He's still not back to his old 7 am wakeup time. Thankfully, my mom got up with him. I got up at 8:30 to find them in the driveway. Harrison had a nice assortment of leaves and branches clutched in his hands. My mom gushed about his morning and digestive accomplishments.

We had a nice, relaxed fall Sunday morning. It was almost 70 out and sunny. Harrison, Doug, and I took our first, non-stroller/carrier walk. We kept our goal modest: right around the corner and up to Hertel Avenue to the café for Doug's coffee and back--a five-minute round trip for an adult. Harrison did wonderfully. We only carried him once we got close to Hertel and then held him in the coffee shop. He didn't mind, since he got to carry his branch in there, and then we headed back down the street kicking up the leaves piled on the sidewalk.

Harrison napped and we had lunch with my parents, then went on to the church and Kaiva's christening. The highlight was when Kaiva started vocalizing/roaring/shrieking during the minister's blessing. The other highlight was a realization that I love that I know Inga's family and other friends, especially Angela and Ella, and that they know my family. I love that because of weddings, showers, and now Kaiva's milestones, I know Mike's family as well. And they know mine.

After the service , a reception, and a quick gathering up of our stuff from my parent's house we headed home in a crazy windstorm. Harrison and I snoozed together in the back seat.

Got back at 7:15 last night.

*************************************
I'm beginning to realize just how grown up and thankful I feel. I feel so grateful for my wonderful husband and son. I love spending time with them and being around all of the families of which we are a part, either through blood or friendship. I love feeling part of a larger community and continuum of family and friends and parents and especially mothers.

It was a hectic weekend and I am exhausted, but it was lovely.

No comments: