Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Sicko

Harrison's been sick with a fever, ear infection, and respiratory illness. I brought him into our Hot Pediatrician last week and she immediately rushed into the room when we got there because he was wheezing like he had swallowed a miniature bellows.

"How long has he been like this?"

"Uh. Two and a half days or so?"

Disapproving look.

"You're going to be here a while." Which we were, as Harrison was given three 15-minute treatments of nebulized Albuterol, an oral steroid to open up his lungs, and some Tylenol to get his fever down.

"If he ever sounds like this again, you have my permission to come straight here without an appointment."

Sometimes I feel like such an incompetent novice at parenting.

Anyway, after seven days of three different drugs, one allergic reaction, and five days of no eating and being Mr. Clingy, Hot Pediatrician officially gave him a clean bill of health yesterday.

I guess that explains how he was able to eat five waffles at daycare. Five.

I said, "Were they the small kid-sized waffles?" and held up my fingers in a 2"x2" square. "No. The adult-sized waffles."

Five!

I'm glad things are back to normal, but after a similar gorge-fest at dinner last night, I fear that kid's going to eat us out of house and home. He must be making up for being too sick to eat much on Turkey Day.

No comments: