Friday, April 15, 2005

Jack Handy

Have you ever come across an old college paper, read through it, and thought, "Man, I used to be smart. And deep."

Or perhaps you looked that paper over and thought, "The Dialectic of Class in Feminist Pedagogy? Wha-huh? Holy frick! Was I full of some deep doo-doo!"

Well, I have this hypothesis now that motherhood has remade me into a philosophical and high-minded intellectual. I'm constantly reflecting. I'm telling you—I'm deeper than Jack Handy.

Here's are two things that I'm currently cogitating:

1. At some point, Harrison is going to learn that the world is a scary place. There are hateful, evil people in the world that do hateful, evil things. This realization has made me exceptionally sad.

2. I was my mother's baby. Her first baby.

Sarah: Sang :: Harrison: Sarah

I know. This seems obvious, right? But motherhood has shed a whole new light on my own mother, and my daughterhood. It's also made me feel quite guilty about being such a nasty teenager. I need some serious ju-ju to ward off that bad karma.

Another analogy before I go:

Student: Paper :: Mother: Blog

Don't be afraid to call me on it if you think my ramblings are full of doo-doo.

No comments: