Friday, April 22, 2005

Yes, I am a voluntary sinner

So Ash and I are in the midst of this email discussion about where we're going to send Harrison and Emma to school. It's rather absurd. They're only almost 1 and just 1, respectively, but some of the programs start at age 3 and that's not far off, and anyway, we're both obsessive compulsive and neurotic so we need to make these decisions early, right?

So we're discussing public schools vs. magnet schools vs. private schools vs. religious schools, and because I'm a recovering Catholic and we're both snarky, I joke about sending Harrison to Catholic school. He really needs a good dose of that guilt, you know? And she one ups me and says she's going to send Emma to Baptist school. Of course I start looking at this local Baptist school website and see this, under the "We Believe" tab: "[We believe] That man was created in innocence in God's image but voluntarily sinned and therefore all men are now sinners by nature and choice, utterly devoid of that righteousness required by the law and thus under just condemnation to an eternal punishment in hell."

"Okay, I shouldn't judge," I write to Ashley, "but are they gonna come to your house at night when your child has nightmares because of this?!?!"

And Ash responds, "Wow. No kidding. "Mommy I'm scared." "Sorry kid, but you're utterly devoid of righteousness. You're doomed to eternal punishment in hell. Now go to sleep and when you wake up you can have a fun day at school!"

1 comment:

Val said...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

That...and they might teach Harrison that having two Aunties is bad, and that his cousin _________ came from a tube or dish or pipette, or GASP!, from another COUNTRY where there are BROWN PEOPLE.